According to the government’s U.S. Census Bureau, there are an estimated 72.2 million fathers across the U.S. This equates to a huge number of packages being shipped by e-commerce companies to deserving dads in the coming weeks. In fact, the National Retail Federation estimates that 77 percent of Americans will celebrate Father’s Day, with an average per-person spend of $133 per person driving overall spending up to a near-record $15.3 billion.
Early summer is also graduation season. How many students will receive gifts to commemorate their achievement? With all the high schools, colleges and universities, and other kinds of educational programs in our country, it’s hard to say for sure. But you can bet it is a number in the millions.
Will your company be looking to capture a portion of these sales? If so, you will want to be sure that your shipped products arrive undamaged and with a visual presentation that impresses the recipient and the purchaser. Doing so not only makes them happy about this purchase, it can plant the seed for future purchases.
Proven Strategies for Shipping Gifts
Both dads and grads appreciate attention to detail and a job that is done right. Here are some suggestions for impressing the people who receive your e-commerce shipments:
- Use water-activated tape (WAT) for sealing cartons. Unlike plastic pressure-sensitive tape that may require multiple strips to achieve a passable seal, WAT creates a permanent bond with the carton and a clean, professional look with just one strip. And, that strong bond can help prevent undetected intrusion, which is especially important with high-value products like jewelry and leather goods.
- Get some low-cost “advertising” with branded tape. In addition to its other benefits, WAT can be branded with your company’s name, logo, or other information, increasing “brand awareness” wherever the package is seen.
“#WAT can be branded with your company’s name, logo, or other information, increasing brand awareness wherever the package is seen.” TWEET THIS
- Add your well wishes. A brief note included in the package can let the dad or grad know that you are happy for them as well. And in e-commerce sales, a little goodwill can go a long way.
- Use ample padding. Saving a few pennies by skimping on the packing material will, quite often, cost you in the long run. A gift that arrives damaged is a disappointment both to the recipient and the purchaser.
- Make the most of the interaction. Opening a package with a gift inside is bound to put a dad or grad in a great mood. What better time to tell them a little more about your company. Including a catalog, coupon, or a sample of another product in the carton is a great way to capitalize on their enthusiasm and create a positive association with your offerings.
- Keep in mind special packaging requirements. If you ship heavy products like the grill, lawnmower, or easy chair that dad might want, wine that is a great gift for those who are “of age,” or other items that have unique shipping needs, be sure you take the time to pack them correctly.
- Double-check the destination. How many gifts each year fail to reach their intended recipient due to a simple error in addressing? Far too many! Always confirm that the address on the package matches what was provided by the customer. And, be on the lookout for their mistakes as well. An address like 123 Loak St. possibly should have been provided as 123 Oak St. When in doubt, contact the customer. Whether the information given is right or wrong, they will appreciate your attention to detail. Also, be sure to put a copy of the address label in the box in case the exterior label is lost during shipping.
Just like dads never run out of propane for the grill and grads always have plenty of snack food and caffeine on hand, you want to be sure you are well-stocked with WAT and water-activated tape dispensers. If you have questions about our products, please contact us at your convenience.