How to Prep Mattresses for Shipping: 5 Proven Tips
If you are an online furniture retailer, you are well aware that New York City-based online mattress company Casper completely disrupted the industry a few years back. The innovative organization took a product that had historically been marketed and sold exclusively in brick and mortar furniture store showrooms and began offering it online. Other companies, from startups to industry giants, soon followed suit. According to Forbes, dozens of companies have entered the rapidly growing online sales segment of the $15 billion mattress market.
For any company looking to capitalize on consumers’ increasing interest in purchasing mattresses online, proper packaging and shipping is critical. With so many providers to choose from, shoppers will quickly look elsewhere if you don’t take great care in how your product is protected on its journey.
Why Proper Mattress Packaging Pays Off
Careful packaging of your mattresses is more than just “the right thing to do.” It’s also a wise business strategy for many reasons. First, it helps create satisfied customers. People who receive a shipment that has been thoughtfully packaged are much more likely to have a positive opinion of your company.
There are also cost savings to realize from proper packaging, in part because when you use a proven process for boxing your mattresses, you minimize material waste and associated expenses. You also accelerate the packing process, decreasing labor costs. Further, you cut down on the expense of returned merchandise.
“Careful packaging of your mattresses is more than just ‘the right thing to do.’ It’s also a wise business strategy for a number of reasons.” TWEET THIS
How to Prepare Mattresses for Shipping
Follow the five tips below to help ensure that your mattresses withstand the rigors of shipping and arrive at their destination in excellent condition.
- Carefully select the right shipper. With all the tasks on your “To Do” list on a given day, it can be tempting to choose a shipper based on just a few general criteria, such as their proximity to your location or a recommendation from a colleague. However, taking the time to research several shippers can help you find the one that provides the best combination of proper handling of large items like mattresses and cost.
- Use durable, high-quality shipping materials. To protect your mattresses from damage, use a durable carton made of corrugated cardboard. When sealing the carton, use water-activated tape (WAT). WAT creates a powerful physical bond with the cardboard that is stronger than other types of tape. You only need one strip of WAT to seal your carton. This efficient use of material saves you money.
- Provide additional protection. Securing the material inside thick gauge shrink film not only reduces the profile of the mattress itself but allows for the smallest possible carton to be used. It also keeps the mattress clean in the process. In doing so, the material presents itself to the customer in a vacuum sealed package which is rolled tight and under tension. Securing the product, as well as the case, with additional strapping tape, like IPG’s RG300, provides additional security and peace of mind as the heavy package makes it way to the customer.
- Use custom-designed cartons. The capital you invest in having cartons designed to meet your shipping needs can be recouped very quickly in the form of reduced damage and returns. Using cartons that are too big, too small, or a shape mismatch for your shipments is a recipe for disaster.
- Brand your shipments. Having your logo, slogan, company colors, and other branding elements visible on the outside of your shipping cartons doesn’t help protect the contents. However, it does capitalize on these “moving billboards” to increase brand awareness which can help you grow sales in a competitive market. Be aware that WAT can be custom printed with your branding.
How to Prepare Mattresses for Shipping
To be successful as an online mattress retailer you must, of course, have great products. However, the value of even the best products is greatly diminished if they don’t arrive to the consumer in attractive and pristine condition. Consequently, in many ways, your shipping processes are just as important as your mattress production processes.
If you have questions about our water-activated tape, water-activated tape dispensers, and other products to help with our shipping, please contact us at your convenience.
About Better Packages
Founded in 1917, Better Packages is a leading manufacturer of tabletop water-activated tape (WAT) dispensers used in carton sealing. Better Packages’ product line includes auto-dispensing electric machines that are used in high volume fulfillment centers, as well as manual dispensers. In the U.S., Better Packages sells through multiple channels that include industrial and packaging distributors and catalog wholesalers, as well as direct to end-user customers. Its distribution network consists of over 160 authorized distributors including Tier 1 shipping and packaging. Better Packages also has another 50 international distributors that service over 70 countries. Better Packages is a wholly owned subsidiary of Intertape Polymer Group (IPG), an acknowledged leader in the packaging industry. IPG sells a full line of Central® water-activated tape, as well as many other premier packaging products.