How Can I Improve Carton Security To Prevent Lost Or Stolen Packages
Companies dealing with package security issues should understand what their carton security options and solutions are. Valuable items stolen out of cartons or entire packages lost in transit are serious problems. When a package or a purchased item does not make it to a consumer, it’s an issue for the company that shipped the package, as well as the customer. However, there are carton security precautions that can be taken, by both the shipper and receiver, to avoid these issues in shipment.
Tips for The Sender
Package safety and security is critical for the sender. This is especially true for businesses that send out multiple packages a day and/or ship packages with expensive items enclosed.
Here are some tips for the sender to improve package security:
- Don't depend on labels to protect your product. Packages are not always treated with the utmost care even when they are labeled with a "fragile" sticker. Be sure to use protective inner packaging for valuable and fragile items.
- Try not to reuse old, shapeless cartons. Cartons that have been used multiple times are fundamentally weaker than those that are new. Boxes that are dilapidated or torn can leave your products vulnerable to breakage or theft.
- Use a strong and secure tape to seal your cartons. A stronger and more effective carton sealing solution is water-activated tape (WAT) to enhance package security. Water-activated tape creates a strong, unbreakable, permanent seal with the corrugated carton. This tape literally bonds with the corrugate and discourages theft through its tamper-evident seal.
Tips for The Receiver
Packages go through several hands and facilities before making it to its final destination. There are ways you can proactively ensure the safety of your packages:
- Always request a tracking number and confirmation of delivery.
- Insure your packages. The extra cost is worth the peace of mind.
- If you are away or won't be home when the package is supposed to arrive, consider shipping the package to your workplace.
- Always try to avoid a package sitting on your doorstep unattended. Ask your neighbor to look out for your package if you are unable to be there at time of delivery.
- Request that your packages have a signature confirmation from you upon delivery.
- Leave specific delivery instructions such as, where the package should be left if you’re not home.
Unfortunately, issues happen. If you do experience an issue, it's important to know what to do next. Read these tips, as stated by the Massachusetts Department of Consumer Affairs:
- Contact the shipper or the company you purchased from to see if there was an issue with delivery. If the shipper is not at fault, you should file a complaint with the U.S. postal inspection service to bring awareness to the issue.
- Check outside to see if the package was delivered but placed or moved somewhere out of sight. Sometimes the package can be placed near the garage or on your porch; which may not be where they are normally placed.
- Ask your neighbors if they saw a package being delivered to your home.
- Lastly, if you feel that the package has been stolen, file a police report to see if they can help with the issue.
Better Packages | Water Activated Tape
Better Packages offers a full line of water-activated tape through its parent company, Intertape Polymer Group. Water-activated tape offers advantages other carton sealing methods do not. WAT creates a tamper-evident seal with a permanent bond to its corrugated cartons and therefore improves your carton security. It is the preferred choice of packaging professionals when strength, security, employee safety, professional appearance, and recyclability are critical.
Want to keep your packages safe? Request a free water-activated tape sample and see for yourself how this carton sealing solution can benefit you.
About Better Packages
Founded in 1917, Better Packages is a leading manufacturer of tabletop water-activated tape (WAT) dispensers used in carton sealing. Better Packages’ product line includes auto-dispensing electric machines that are used in high volume fulfillment centers, as well as manual dispensers. In the U.S., Better Packages sells through multiple channels that include industrial and packaging distributors and catalog wholesalers, as well as direct to end-user customers. Its distribution network consists of over 160 authorized distributors including Tier 1 shipping and packaging. Better Packages also has another 50 international distributors that service over 70 countries. Better Packages is a wholly owned subsidiary of Intertape Polymer Group (IPG), an acknowledged leader in the packaging industry. IPG sells a full line of Central® water-activated tape, as well as many other premier packaging products.